Overview of the Program
Founded in 1999, Life Together is a ten-month fellowship and leadership development project that matches emerging young leaders (21-32 years of age) with mission-based non-profit organizations, schools, and churches throughout Eastern Massachusetts, and then trains these fellows through spiritual practice, shared leadership models, and community organizing tools. During their year with Life Together, fellows commit to: work for social justice, participate in regular leadership trainings, and live in community with other fellows.
Fellows serve from mid-August through mid-June. Life Together is a strategic initiative of The Episcopal Diocese of Massachusetts and an affiliate program and founding partner of the Episcopal Service Corps.
About the Fellows
Life Together will select up to 30 fellows from a pool of over 200 applicants. They range in age from 21 to 32, and are willing to work in challenging settings, committed to positive community change, and emotionally mature. Each fellow has demonstrated a deep commitment to spiritual growth and working for social justice.
CRITERIA FOR ELIGIBILITY
To be eligible, your organization must:
- Be a non-profit 501(c)3 organization, school, or government agency operating in Massachusetts
- Be operational for at least one year with at least one full-time staff member and the capacity to host a fellow
HOST SITE REQUIREMENTS
- A clear vision of the project you plan to implement and how the fellow can be most effectively utilized.
- An engaging job description—the position must be 32 hours per week, fill an organizational need, and support work for social justice. Work should be challenging and reasonable given the fellow’s skill set.
- Supportive leadership from staff and host site to ensure that the fellow is considered and treated as an integral part of the organization.
- One designated site supervisor who will provide weekly supervision, adequate training, and support to the fellow
- A cash match to contribute to the partnership between host sites and Life Together fellows, which helps cover the cost of a fellow’s stipend, housing, and health insurance. No additional compensation is required. This fee is between $8,000-$15,000 and depends on the annual budget of the organization. We believe this rate is very competitive and we are committed to helping sites figure out how to pay this fee.
Life Together Provides
Life Together is committed to the success of each Fellow and their host site. As our contribution to the partnership with the host site we provide:
- A full-time fellow (~32 hrs/week) for ten months (hired in partnership between the program and host site)
- Leadership training, regular retreats and weekly meetings for the fellow, including over 170 hours of leadership development
- Orientation for the host site and fellow supervisor
- Occasional site visits to address host site needs and evaluate fellow’s progress and project goals
- Access to the partner organizations of Life Together for resources, training, etc.
- Administration of fellow benefits: $450/month stipend, housing, health insurance, training opportunities, and $75 monthly travel allowance
- Evaluation of the success of the site and the project
- Fund development for the initiative
For more information about Life Together or with questions about how to apply to host a fellow, please contact Kelsey Rice Bogdan, Executive Director, at: email@example.com or 781.307.8684.